Raspberry & Coconut Slice (Gluten Free)
250g gluten free plain flour
220g muscovado sugar (split this into 2 separate 110g portions)
125g dairy free hard margarine
1 tsp vanilla extract
180g desiccated coconut
200g muscovado sugar
20ml lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 180C (gas mark 4), grease a rectangular baking tin (approx 12 x 10 inches)
- Using an electric whisk, mix together gluten free flour, 110g of sugar & your dairy free hard margarine until it forms a breadcrumb-like consistency
- Add vanilla extract and 1 egg to the mixture & mix until it forms a dough-like consistency
- Bring together the dough into a lump with your hands
- Press the dough into your prepared baking tin evenly and bake in the oven till slightly golden for about 15 minutes, then leave to cool
- Whisk together the 2 remaining eggs & the other 110g of sugar
- Stir in the desiccated coconut
- Spread your raspberry jam (see below) all over your base as evenly as you can
- Spread your coconut mixture over the jam & base evenly.
- Place back in the oven for a further 20 – 25 minutes or until golden.
- Allow to completely cool in the baking tin before removing and cutting into slices.
To make the jam
- Tip half the raspberries into a preserving pan and add the lemon juice.
- Mash the berries to a pulp over the heat with a potato masher, then leave to cook for 5 mins.
- Tip the cooked berries into a sieve over a bowl, then once all of the juice has drained off, firmly work the pulp through the sieve with a wooden spoon until you are left with just the seeds.
- Tip the juice and pulp back into the preserving pan and stir in the sugar.
- Heat gently, then add the remaining whole raspberries.
- Bring to the boil, then boil rapidly for 5 mins, then remove from the heat.